HISTORY OF TINOS
According to ancient Greek mythology, Tinos was the residence of the Greek god Aeolus, Keeper of the Winds. This idea can be attributed to the fact that very strong winds always blew on the island. The name of the island is supposed to have Phoenician origins, deriving from the word “tannoth”, which means “snake”.
Traces of a settlement on the island first appear during the Early Cycladic era. During excavations, pieces of Mycenaean art were also found on the island. The Ionians came to the island around 1000 BC.